Grade C or above level 5 in any Science and grade C or above level 5 in Maths.
Aims of course
The specific aims of the NPA Scientific Technologies group award are to:
- prepare learners for an appropriate level of employment in science areas such as; biological, biotechnology, chemical, environmental, food and drink, medical, oil and gas, pharmaceutical and renewable energy industries.
- develop a range of laboratory skills.
- prepare learners for progression to further studies in science related disciplines.
- provide learners with a working knowledge of safety and security procedures in a laboratory setting.
- increase the number of learners interested in and qualified for a career in the sciences.
The course consists of 4 units:
- Fundamental chemistry: The study of the periodic table, atomic structure, chemical formulae, acids/bases, organic chemistry.
- Experimental procedures: Performing scientific procedures and completing reports.
- Laboratory Safety: Understanding and applying safety procedures.
- Mathematics for Science: The study of scientific calculations and statistics.