The West Lothian Academy is not the same as studying a subject within your own school and applies a different operating model. It is an extended/additional online programme offered to young people who can’t access a course within their own school, therefore widening access to the courses available throughout West Lothian Council.
The virtual delivery of Advanced Highers in Modern Languages will be delivered through a new partnership with Edinburgh College. Students interested in one of these courses should discuss during their course choice interview before completing the application online through the appropriate link.
What students can expect
- Full column allocation
- Two periods each week of “live learning” via Microsoft Teams
- Must attend all “live learning” classes with camera turned on
- Responsible for own learning and using all allocated periods efficiently and effectively
- Conduct yourself safely, responsibly and appropriately at all times
- Other allocated periods provided for self -learning/study as communicated and supported by class teacher (Microsoft Teams and Class Notebook)
- Regular tracking updates received via own school (completed by class teacher)
- In-person taught tutorials (approximately twice per term) at a central venue, transport provided
- Exams/prelims will be taken in own school
- All/any agreed ASN support requirements in place
- Commit to the course for the full year/session – withdrawing from the course is not within the expectations, think very carefully at course choice time.Is this the right course and way of learning for you at this stage?
- If you are interested in studying any Modern Languages Advanced Higher courses, please speak to a Mrs Bulloch.This can be considered via a slightly alternative route to the West * Lothian Academy Advanced Higher operating model in partnership with Edinburgh College
- Due to the live learning element on either a Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, students can choose to study up to two (maximum) West Lothian Academy courses
What parents can expect
- Regular tracking/progress updates completed by class teacher and disseminated by own school throughout the year
- One parents/carers evening following prelims (likely to be end of January) to meet with the class teacher about progress/strengths and next steps
- West Lothian Academy point of contact – Mrs Bulloch
- Discuss fully with your child at course choice time – is this the right course and way of learning for your child?
- All agreed ASN support will be provided in discussion with yourself, your child, your child’s school and the class teacher
Courses offered in 2023/24
- Advanced Higher
- Modern Studies