What to consider when making choices
- Progression from subjects you have already studied. The subjects that you have achieved the highest levels in should be your top choices.
- Planned positive destination. Certain jobs or university/college courses ask for particular subjects. Find out whether yours does before making your choices.
- Challenge. Choosing courses that will challenge you will keep you motivated. Future employers, universities and colleges will expect you to challenge yourself too.
- What you think you will enjoy studying. It is important to have a timetable that you are going to enjoy or your year could be miserable!
- Recommendation of class teachers and PTCs. They know your skills and previous achievements in subjects best.
- Parent and carer views. They know you better than anyone else!
Support available with making course choices
- View the information on this website thoroughly.
- Discuss with subject teachers what your recommend progression would be in each subject you currently study/look at your reports.
- Discuss with your parents/carers.
- Research career plans – attend the “Your Future” evening (date TBC).
- Use My World of Work - Choose My Subjects Advice. Discuss with Louise Russell, our Skills Development Scotland Careers Advisor, and House Head if appropriate – this is essential if you are a summer or winter leaver.
- Complete your application form (S5 & S6 only) – this is quite lengthy so give yourself plenty of time.
- If you are going against recommendations or choosing a course which requests you speak to staff then gain signatures on your application form.
- Attend your course choice interview – you will be informed of date and time.
- My World of Work,
- Young Scot,
- Be What You Want,
- PlanIT Plus,
- Websites for universities and colleges who run courses in things you're interested in,
- The Student Room,
- Skills For Care,
- Police Scotland,
- Creative Skillset,
- Careers That Move,
- Big Ambition,
Submitting your choices
Once you've made your decision, you'll need to hand in your course choice form. You can get an extra copy of this in Documents & Downloads.