Students would normally have completed Physical Education at National 4/SCQF level 5 or 6. Where this is not possible students should have a general interest in sport with knowledge of the rules and procedures in football through participation or observations.
Aims of Course
The Referee Development Award provides an opportunity for students to develop their understanding of Scottish FA: Laws of the Game and Scottish FA Practical Refereeing. It allows students to develop their personal leadership qualities, knowledge and skills in football.
Description of the Course
Students will complete 3 of the following units:
- Circuit Training (Higher)
- Cardiovascular Training (Higher)
- Free Weight Training (Higher)
- Exercise to Music (Higher)
Participants should be aware that assessment will take place in both theoretical and practical contexts.
- Scottish FA: Laws of the Game - Formal closed book assessment – sat online. Students must demonstrate the capacity to effectively implement their knowledge of the laws of the game to a range of situations.
- Scottish FA: Practical Refereeing -
- Formal Controls and Procedures,
- Produce misconduct and match reports in both formal letter and pro forma style
- Referee a Football match
Future Progression Routes in Subject
This award provides students with 1 year’s membership with their local refereeing association, this gives them the opportunity to attend training and mix with elite referees in Scotland. The award enables students to referee at grass roots level football, which allows them to earn money based on the games that they referee in the wider community.
Having this understanding of the game is beneficial when pursuing further awards in football such as coaching as they will have a greater understanding of the game they are about to coach.