Aims of Course
- To develop an understanding of what businesses do and why they are important to all of us.
- To develop an understanding of how businesses start and how they work.
- To develop an understanding of what the main areas of business do: marketing, finance, human resources and production.
- To prepare students for National 3, 4 and 5 Business.
- To provide an enjoyable and challenging introduction to the world of business.
Content of Course
Businesses play a crucial role in all of our lives. We all rely on businesses and entrepreneurs to create wealth, jobs, prosperity and provide us with much needed goods and services. The course aims to develop learners’ understanding of:
- how and why businesses start, develop and operate; the role of business and entrepreneurship within society; finding out how and why people set up in business; the qualities and skills required by entrepreneurs and the actions taken by businesses to meet customers’ needs.
- how businesses are organised by exploring the functional activities of marketing, finance, operations and human resources, looking at which activities are carried out in these departments.
- the internal and external factors that can have an impact on a business and how these can affect the survival and success of a business.
This course will prepare our students for everyday life and the world of work. It also provides a pathway that allows progression in the study of other business related disciplines. The course will help develop many transferable skills that are essential for today’s society such as ICT, Numeracy, Literacy and Citizenship.