Aims of the Course
- To develop the media skills introduced in English,
- To be able to critically analyse different texts including print and visual media,
- To allow pupils to create their own media texts both individually and in groups,
- To build on interpersonal and project management skills,
- To build on their skills of Literacy, Numeracy and Health and Wellbeing.
Description of the Course
"Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture."
The teaching of Media is no longer just an extension of English. Throughout the course pupils will learn how media affects their everyday lives and how important it is to be able to identify the techniques used to persuade. They will learn how different colours, type-set and images are used in order to influence our decisions.
Pupils will analyse a variety of texts including film trailers, documentaries, articles and print advertising before creating their own examples using storyboards, camera work, written work and posters. The course will cover the National 3 course specification as well as other more advanced skills to ready pupils who wish to move on to National 5 in the Senior Phase.